Sunday, January 08, 2006

Grow, Dance, Write, Sing

This is what I have been working on all week. I imagined them as a set. I am thinking that they will need to be mounted on a matboard background.

I am not completely happy with them. Using stamps and inks always seem a roll of the dice for me, you never know how the image will come out. Sometimes the image is pale and not all the stamp came out. Maybe I just need to work with them more.

In my heart I love the collage, using bits of paper and stuff, but I also love the transparency factor that stamps give. I think that I want to experiment with this technique and idea though. Using small pieces and words and watercolors backgrounds. Maybe next time I will try using more of a college with paper stuffs next time.

But I also have to admit that I struggle with the whole copywrite issues of using stamps in my artwork. I am not organized enough to keep track of where the stamps come from and I usually take the rubber off the wood to make it easier to place the stamp. I guess the answer to that would be to create my own stamps. I am beginning to learn about my own personal iconography that I think it might be about time to think about this. And the other thing about stamps is that you really never have the exact stamp you need...and they take up so much room.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've thought about making my own stamps too...i think it could be a really cool thing...i really liked your pieces, jackie! i really love the layers of paint and stamp and writing. they definitely seem like a set. will you post them on one board or three individual ones?

Peascod said...

Kat, I am not sure, I am thinking that I will put them on individual boards. That way it allows anyone who would hang them the flexibility to do them in a row of 4 across or 2 rows of 2 or 4 rows vertically. This is the hardest for me to decide. Frames, matting,etc. Unless the frame seems to be part and parcel of the piece I tend to like to let the framing choice be up to who I give the piece to. But still, as I do more and more of this and begin to sell it I am changing on it becuase the frame has such a strong effect on how the piece looks. What about you? j

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'd never even considered there would be copyright issues with stamping. I don't use them much but admire the result of those who do and toyed with the idea of using them. I don't sell my work, so I suppose the right issue isn't as big a deal. But gosh, if the stamp is made to create things, the manufacturer knows that! How can they put limits on a tool used to create?

Your pieces are lovely!