Thursday, October 20, 2005

Soul Cards

These are a few of the cards inspired by the book by Seena B. Frost called SoulCollage. I don't really use them as she suggests. I use them as a way to pray particularly when the words won't come. They help me to clarify what may be going on in my life, to celebrate almost anything, or to visualize what I feel God may be speaking to me or even to create images of what I can't find words for as I pray.

I began working on them after reading about this book (although I haven't read it yet, it is on my list though) and looking at and being inspired by what others are creating as soul cards. The idea to use them as a form of prayer came out of a time when I was having difficulty bringing words into my prayers. About that time I discovered a prayer movement that started in England among the 20-some things in which they created a prayer room that was open for people to come to pray 24/7. Spontaneously people began to create art that reflected the prayers. I was excited by that thought - combining the two things in my life that breathed life into my soul - prayer and art. I feel that I have just begun to scratch the surface of this and how to use it in both my spiritual life and creative life.

This is the first one I created. On the back is the prayer or the scripture or the thought I was praying or what I sensed God was saying to me. This one was a very powerful one for me. I had been praying for direction and was coming to a place of beginnings and endings. The scripture that kept going through my mind was from Song of Solomon 2:10-11. I felt that God was saying to me "I am the one who opens doors, do not be afraid to walk through, my dreams for you are much larger than you can even begin to dream for yourself" (see Jer. 29:11)

This is the second one. Again I was praying for clarity and direction. I was also being frustrated with issues in my life where I felt out of control...I had been trying to do it alone, without God's help. I felt as I was praying and creating this that God was whispering into my heart to "Look into My true light. As you look into My light I will change you and show you the way you should go"

The scripture references are not ment to explain or support what I say, or try to prove any kind of doctrine. They were the scriptures that came to my mind as I was praying and creating these cards.

2 comments:

Swirly said...

I have seen that book and I created a stack of soul collage cards myself (about 3" x 4"). They were so much fun to do because of the small size. I love the idea of creating new ones that are centered around the idea of prayer. I am still trying to figure out how to bring prayer into my daily life - or in my life consistently at all - and this is such a wonderful idea. Thank you. :)

belle said...

these cards and prayers are beautiful. thank you for sharing them!